Healthy Dental Habits for Kids
Ways to encourage your children to take good care of their teeth from the beginning.
- Schedule a visit- It is recommended that your child should have their first visit with us at Dr. Anthony’s as soon as their first tooth appears or no later than his or her first birthday. We recommend scheduling regular checkups at least every 6 months to catch early signs of decay or cavities.
- Make brushing fun– To make brushing more fun let your child pick out their own fun colorful brushes, have them use a toothpaste that is specially designed for kids, and try incorporating a song that brings more fun into the bathroom that educates and encourages your child to brush their teeth. A video you and your child may like is This Is The Way We Brush Our Teeth from LittleBabyBum!
- Read with your kids– Reading books to your children can often be the best way to help them learn new things. Finding books about brushing that are colorful, have fun characters, and that teach the importance of good dental health is a great way to get your child excited about good dental habits early. A great book to check out is Brush, Brush, Brush!
- Model good habits – Play follow the leader and lead by example. Take good care of your own teeth by regularly brushing and flossing and your child will be likely to do the same. Make it a fun experience that you can do together.
- Routine- Brushing twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste is recommended. Getting your child into a routine of brushing creates a healthy habit. You will need to brush your child’s teeth for them until they are ready to brush them on their own. Always make sure you supervise your child while brushing his or her teeth to make sure they do not swallow their toothpaste. Children should begin flossing to clean between any teeth that touch.
We encourage you to stop in to our office for a fun visit so your child can have a friendly meeting with Dr. Anthony and our team of hygienists. Your child can pick out a free timer that they can use while brushing. Let us help your child feel comfortable at the dentist and get them started with good dental habits early.
Call 752-8161 to schedule an appointment with Dr. Leslie Anthony today.
We look forward to visits with your entire family.